Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Great Gatsby... then and now.

As you know, we have recently read the classic novel The Great Gatsby, we watched the most recent version of the movie. This movie followed the plot line of the novel while adding many fun and modern twists. It kept the same characters, setting and conflicts. While showing these things it made them seem more real and almost, likable. Some people claim they can't stand the book because there is no emotional connections. I feel like this movie does s very good job of creating more connections between the audience and the characters. This would make the movie a little more enjoyable to some, but to others, it may lose that classic feel.

/Another thing that I enjoyed about this movie was that is really mixed the roaring twenties with the modern world. This was best shown at Gatsby's parties. The music he was playing was a mix of the jazz type music they would listen to in the 20's and the hip hop/rap that is popular today. Obviously this isn't how it would be in the 20's, but again, it may add to the audiences ability to connect to the story, characters and setting shown in the film.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I think that reading the book first really made me appreciate all that went into creating this visual version of a classic novel.

2 comments:

  1. I really agree about the music and the connection to modern times. I also thought that the film did make the characters more interesting than the book did. Maybe it was the visual emotions and feeling of the actors that did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you and I liked how the movie incorporated modern music and modern themes. I thought that the mixture of hip hop and rap with jazz was really interesting because they both symbolize the "party scene" music of the 1920s, then today. I also agree that there were really good connections between the audience and the characters. I thought that the movie was captivating.

    ReplyDelete