http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item.pl
Above is a link to the map I picked to look at. This map is a map of Argentina. Any map from the olden days will be a lot different than maps we see today. One thing about this one that really stands out to me is that is isn't very detailed in the lay of the land, but does have more art like detail. The map is colorful, patterned, and almost more like a work of art than a map. There are little boats drawn onto it with a big colorful compass right in the middle. The most detail that this map has relating to the land itself is the mountains drawn along the coast line. This map really tells the story of what people saw when they first came to this section of the world. They have pictures of the animals they saw and the landscape (a minimal amount) they encountered. A quote that I found from the reading we did really relates to this map. "In addition to being directional guides, maps are material artifacts that represent cultural perception during particular periods of history." This goes off of what I said. This map doesn't so much show detail direction but really shows the sort of things they saw on their journey to this new land. Which personally, I believe, is equally (if not more) important than the directions itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment