Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Wiki Leaks

As many, if not all of you, know there has been a topic in the news lately that about the controversial issue regards a website founded by a man that goes by the name Julian Assange. He was arrested for commiting several crimes that were completely unrealted to the website. After his arrest of officials are trying to determine whether realsing secrets to the public is a crime or not. Assange argues that he was doing it to "protect" the people of America. He claims that the public should know the things that could potentially harm those who reside in the U.S.

The views on this topic are slipt right down the middle. There are those who believe what he is doing is the right thing, because the public desereves to know what is really going on outside of the U.S. While this is a valid argument as to why it is not a crime, there are also a large amount of people, uncluding U.S. officials who believe that sharing these secrets could cause panic and worry people who have nothing to worry about.

Personally, I find both arguments to be valid. Although this is true, I personally think it should be a crime to share/relase secret government should be considered a crime. I believe that the goverment must have their reasons as to why they are keeping these things from the public. If they concerened the citizens of the U.S. then I'm sure they would have released it already. Sharing things that have been kept from the public could, as I said earlier, cause panic throughout the country. These documents he has shared on his website may not have all the informatin uncluded which could give people the wrong idea. I, for one, have had this happen before. I read only part of something and because it was out of context it sounded A LOT worse then it actually was.

Either way people have very strong opinions on this topic which could cause some very heated debating. As long as one has the facts and a steady argument, I really cannot bash on their view.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the release of some government secrets could result in country-wide panic, however why should that be a reason not to let people know about them? It brings up the age-old question of would you rather live a beautiful lie, or a painful truth? Would you rather sleep peacefully in your bed not knowing what goes on behind the scenes, or do you want to stay up all night, read the script, and know exactly what is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find both arguements valid. On one hand I'm glad that i've been given a certain amount of transparency on the Government, but on the other, it worries me about what will be done with this information if/when it falls into the wrong hands.

    ReplyDelete