Reading the three essays really made me things about how different things would be if men and women were TRULY equal. This would would be a much, much different place. And in some ways, a much better place.
The first essay I read was "If Men Could Menstruate" by Gloria Steinem. I've thought about what it would be like if both men, and women went through this and it would change many things. But what I really came to realize after reading this, is that it would really go to mens heads.They would use it for the benefit (not that some women don't do that already). I"m not sure I would like it if men could menstruate, although, they would understand what us ladies go through every month just so we can have children. We deserve more respect, just saying.
Respect. That is the man things I got from the second essay I read. "The Great Lawsuit" by Margaret Fuller. Men treat us like we can't fend for ourselves. Sure we might not be a strongly built as men but we sure as hell are mentally strong! I would love to see a man go through what we go through and stay as grounded as most women do. I would love to see them live in the life of a woman and go through everything we have to go through. Not just the periods, giving birth, but the constant judging. Assuming we can't lift a box, or aren't as good as fixing things. I would just love to see their faces when they realize we don't get paid as much because men don't think we're as good of workers. Because we can't do it as well. All just because of our gender.
Luckily, things have gotten better for women over the years. In the 1700, women weren't even allowed to read. Now that is just crazy. And not being able to read made it near impossible to get a job. Oh wait. Women couldn't have a job. They were forced to stay at home to clean, cook, be a caretaker to the children and run the house while to husband was out being a "man" and making the money. This stayed like this up until the 1920's. And even then, they didn't work jobs like the men did. Stereotypes, thats all this is. Women aren't strong, they can't work, they aren't smart. Wrong. We are strong, we can work and we are smart.
These three articles really made me realize how unfairly treated women are. We have it "easy" as some men would say. Well we don't. These essays show how much we have been doubted and how men "cut us slack" because of our gender. It's unfair and wrong. Just wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment