Saturday, June 22, 2013

All About Me

I've never been one to talk about myself, though I'm rather excited to have the opportunity to do so. Okay well, bare with me as I now rant about me, myself and I! First off, my name is Carolyn Elizabeth Dorn. I was born in Madison Wisconsin and raised here in McFarland. So I quite literally have grown up in the small town of McFarland. I live with my mother, father and two siblings, Patrick who is 15 and Danielle who just turned 12!  So now that you know the basic, and boring, things about me, let's get more into detail. There are really three major things in my life: music, golf, and helping people. I'll start with first, music.

Anyone who knows me already knows how important music is to me. Whether that's playing it, writing it, or listening to it! I always have my iPod with me and headphones in. To me, music is my escape from everything. Whenever I need to just get away, I go up to my room and put some music on. I'm sure many people listen to music for the same reason, but the music I listen to isn't exactly the music your typical teenager listens to. I don't listen to the music you hear on the radio. I prefer heavy metal, post-hardcore, and rock. That kind of stuff. One of my main hobbies is going to concerts. I've seen over 40 bands in concert, everyone single of them was a night I will never forget. If I could go to a concert every day, I would! It just never gets old. Aside for listening to music, making it is also a major part of my life. I've been playing clarinet for eight years now and I love it. I've been in band ever since 6th grade. Now here in  highschool I play in wind ensemble, pep-band and marching band. I used to play jazz band in 7th and 8th grade. I play alto sax for that. I also used to play piano, violin and, of course, recorder! Haha. I dabble in writing music. It never gets anywhere though. I prefer to write lyrics rather than the actual melodies. It helps me express myself. 

I'm not exactly the most athletic person on the planet, hah, so I was extremely glad when I was forced to try golf. As weird as that sounds. My mom told me I needed to find a sport to play in highschool because it's part of the experience. I thought about every girls sport McFarland had to offer and I came to realize, I've played every sport already and it just wasn't my thing, or so I thought. So one day, my uncle took me to the driving range and right when I hit the first ball, I knew I finally found a sport I enjoyed. Something just, clicked, as cliche as that soundsSo I started practicing the year before I started my freshman year of highschool and got good enough to play JV on the girls golf team. I just fell in love with the game, the people, and the rewards that come with it! Luckily it's a sport I will be able to play for the rest of my life. 

The last thing that is a major part of my life is helping people. As my friends and family know, I would do anything for them. If you mean something to me, then I'd take a bullet for you. I always put everyone else before myself, and it can sometimes get me into trouble. Being the type of person that I am, I realized what I wanted to do with my life a lot sooner than most people. I knew I wanted to help people in some way. For a while I wanted to be a doctor or a nurse, but I can't handle the gore. Then I learned about a field I've never even heard about, occupational therapy. I did some research on it and thought to myself, "This is what I want to do with my life." So, I told my parents and they thought it sounded perfect for me. Sadly  my grandpa had a stroke a year and a half ago. The good thing for me was he needed an OT (occupational therapist) to help him re-learn how to do some everyday things. I shadowed his OT for an afternoon and watched what she did, it was great to see how much she helped people without having to deal with the gore. As of now I'm thinking of going to MATC for two years then transferring to the UW Madison to, hopefully, get my masters degree in occupational therapy. Things may change, but I'm excited to see where I end up.


So there you have it That's pretty much me summed up into four paragraphs! If you lasted through that, congrats! Hopefully I didn't ramble on about nothing, haha. I look forward to getting to know you all better over the next several months. 


Oh! And AP Comp? Bring it! I'm ready for whatever you've got!


~Carolyn.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn! That is really cool that you are so passionate about music. I also love music and agree that it is a great escape. Occupational Therapy sounds like a great career choice too. I look forward to seeing you more in AP Comp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great choice on attending MATC for a couple years than transferring to UW Madison. You will save thousands of dollars and you will still be able to enjoy the college life. I also love music. It seems wherever I go I have my iPod with me. The only problem with that is when your headphones seem to break about every two months or so, does that happen to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm very glad I found out about this option. It's perfect for what I wish to do. As for the headphones, yes. All the time. I go through so many headphones every year. Very annoying!

      Delete
  3. Hey Carolyn! Just so you know I am quite jealous that you have attended over 40 concerts. I have been to like two. No joke! It's awesome though! Like you I have a passion for music, but woah girl! You play a whole 'lotta instruments! I played flute...and I can plunk out notes on the piano. That's about it. I am lame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carolyn! I'm also jealous of all the concerts you have gone to! How many did you go to this summer? I hope you had a great summer and I'll see you at school!

    ReplyDelete